Sunday, November 4, 2012

American Products

Generally speaking we are not missing anything we can't live without, but here are a couple examples of items we miss and yet have found a way to acquire, possess, beg, borrow or... You get the idea.

1. The number one item I missed WAS.... Peanut Butter!  That's right.  There is an entire society that has survived without peanut butter. Fortunately, there is a CostCo like store that imports some of these important staples of international concern.  We made a run last Friday.  (Also, you might note my new wool sweater that I only paid $30 for). One way we've found to improve a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is to use huckleberry jelly.  Now we have the best of both worlds.

2. Crest Toothpaste.  I didn't even know I was partial to Crest until I got here and couldn't get it.  We hope to have some delivered with friends that are visiting in December.

3. Car Rental.  I don't know if this is specifically American, but it is a standard thing to do in the US and we have never crossed this bridge when travelling overseas.  The driving rules are slightly different, but I officially survived, as well as all passengers and pedestrians, on our recent excursion.  It costs about $60 a day.  I found this car from a business trying to cater to business men from Europe.  I was his first American and I think it made his day.
Ilya and I show off our weekend transportation to the Gulag
This list can and will be extended in the future.  I thought these were some good examples to start off with.

1 comment:

  1. Funny how the little things in life (like peanutbutter) attach themselves to our tender heart cords (ha!) I hear ya'. Loving reading your blogs ~ keep writing! ~Arlene

    ReplyDelete